Sustainable Living Inspired by Torah
Connecting traditional Torah texts with contemporary scientific findings, Canfei Nesharim educates and empowers Jewish individuals, organizations and communities to take an active role in protecting the environment, in order to build a more sustainable world.
- Read what people are saying about Canfei Nesharim.
- Read about Canfei Nesharim in the News.
- Get involved
- Our Leadership Team
Canfei Nesharim is building the foundation of a Torah-based environmental movement by creating educational resources and synagogue programs; training leaders and speakers; and inspiring the Jewish community to commit to environmental action. Canfei Nesharim envisions a world where the Jewish community is committed to preserve and protect our environment, inspired by Torah values. Canfei Nesharim is successful when individuals, communities, schools and synagogues internalize Jewish and sustainable values and turn them into an environmentally-sensitive way of life.
- Education Leads to Action: Learning Torah teachings and scientific facts about the environment motivates us to live sustainably.
- Appreciation for Creation: Standing in awe of G-d’s miraculous creation, we embrace our responsibility to protect it.
- Cultivating Leadership: We empower individuals and communities through education, and inspire action in their families, communities, and society as a whole.
What We Do
Canfei Nesharim educates the Jewish community through Torah-based and scientific resources, to instill a sense of responsibility to protect our environment.
We empower lay leaders, educators, schools and organizations through leadership trainings and support to community change agents, to help each member create a voice of change within their community.
We connect Jewish environmentalists so that they can learn from one another and engage each other in shared campaigns.
Canfei Nesharim is also the only organization that is engaging the Orthodox Jewish community to take an active role in protecting the environment.
Canfei Nesharim sees itself as providing a unique contribution to the Jewish community and the environmental movement. For more information about the contribution of the religious community to the environment, please “We Need to Change More than a Lightbulb” – a column written by Evonne Marzouk and published in On Faith, the religion blog of the Washington Post and Newsweek in 2008.
- Learn about the Leadership Trainings we’ve hosted.
- Canfei Nesharim was proud to administer the Jewcology portal for the entire Jewish environmental field from 2010-2014.
Canfei Nesharim expresses our sincere gratitude to Bikkurim: An Incubator for New Jewish Ideas, for taking us into their incubator for new Jewish ideas from 2004-2009.
We’re grateful to Hazon and the riders and sponsors of the New York Jewish Environmental Bike Ride for providing a grant to support the launch of Canfei Nesharim, along with several small grants over the last few years to support our continued efforts.